Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Simple Sentiments

OpinionJournal has the heartfelt testimony of a father and soldier returning home from Iraq. You won't see many of these stories since the sentiments of this father are probably considered simple and unsophisticated by the journalistic elite.

It may take my wife and children a long time to realize that while I look the same, I am not the same person who said goodbye to them many months ago. I will never be the same again--thankfully so.

Each day now I am acutely aware of what makes me happy, and what it is I do that makes other people happy. Walking point through the volatile streets in Iraq helped me see this much more clearly, and I will make every effort to preserve that awareness for the rest of my days.

When I look through my photo album I think about the men I served with, and learned to count on, who are no longer by my side. The men who had their bodies pierced by the hatred of terrorists, men who left their last breaths in a place far away. Great men doing a job that allows this noble country the freedoms it deserves.

No comments: