Thursday, September 16, 2004

Johnny Ramone, R.I.P.

Another of the original Ramones died yesterday. Johnny Ramone (ne John Cummings) died in his sleep after ultimately losing a five-year battle with prostate cancer. Two years ago Dee Dee Ramone (Douglas Colvin) died of an OD. In 2001, Joey Ramone (Jeff Hyman) died of lymphatic cancer.

The Ramones are one of rock's great bands. They never reached the commercial success of the Rolling Stones, Beatles or even The Police, but they influenced a generation of hard-rock and punk rock bands and left a stamp on rock that few bands can rival. I saw them in concert once when I was in college: 70 minutes, nearly 30 songs and thrash, thrash, thrash -- great stuff. I also wrote most of my college papers to Ramones Mania and Ramones Greatest Hits vol. 2 -- two compendiums of Ramones songs. That hard-driving rock in the background energized my thoughts.

Rest in Peace, Johnny.

No comments: