Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Liberal contempt for ordinary Americans

I had the unusual opportunity to take a commuter home train today. (I usually drive.) I don't typically mind as it means I get to make a couple of phone calls and catch up on some light reading.

Today, though, I had the great misfortune of sitting a row away from three chatterboxes who insisted on regaling the rest of the carriage with their political opinions. Ordinarily as a New Yorker you can tune anything out but this trio led by a particularly strident and ill-informed woman was hard to ignore.

Some of the comments by this idiot: (which were amen'ed by the other two)

"Bush is going to announce his choice tonight - it's going to be another fascist."

"I can't believe Bush won the last election, there has to be more people like us."

"The draft is coming back as soon as they run out of volunteers."


And the one that takes the cake:

"People in Middle America are just stupid. The smart ones go to college and move away."


It was literally talking points from the Democratic Underground. I bit back a few retorts reminding myself that maybe, just maybe, they were annoying other commuters as much as they were irritating me. And that getting into a public shouting match is, well, something the left wing nuts actually LIKE to do and what makes them so bloody annoying.

As I got up for my stop I was sorely tempted to remark: "Thank God for Middle America. Have a nice evening." But I let it go. Perhaps we should be happy that the opposition thinks this way - they'll keep losing elections.

No comments: