Thursday, March 17, 2005

Win some, lose some

OK, I honked on the 'Bama Sweet 16 pick but I nailed the weakness of the SEC, pegged Penn as unable to hang with a major conference team and made one great prediction to myself as Wake began turning its game around against against Chattanooga: Self, I said, watch Wake open this up and end up winning by about 68-55. Final score, Wake 70-54.

Two other quick hits: (1) kudos to the major mid-majors, Nevada and Pacific, for beating the disappointing mid-level majors Texas and Pitt. Texas has been ravaged by injuries and the arrant stupidity of PJ Tucker, but Barnes never got his team past its semi-mental block to perform as a cohesive team, hence its #8 seed and first-round fall. Pitt has no such excuse and it got thwacked by UoP today worse than the 79-71 score line. (2) Watching Gonzaga against Winthrop tells me that every time I thought Ronny Turiaf was overrated, I was right. His stats will be nice (13 pts, 13 reb with 17 secs left) but against a smaller and weaker front line, Turiaf should score more than one bucket and not have to get his points in foul-and-hope time. However, Adam Morrison can play for my team any day.

No comments: