Friday, March 11, 2005

Spain: Never Forget

Charles at LGF has a post to commemorate the first anniversary of the Madrid bombing. He takes issue with the Spanish official who asked the media to refrain from publishing more images of the March 11, 2004 attacks designed to influence the Spanish election:

Gregorio Peces-Barba, who was appointed last Friday by the government, said the victims and their families “are suffering from solitude and deserve respect.”

Speaking to Catalunya Radio on Sunday, he said there was no need to rerun images of something “everybody has already seen.”


What Charles wrote a year after September 11:

If it were me, standing on a ledge 100 floors up, suddenly forced to make the ultimate choice with no time to think ... I would want my death to mean something. I would want the world to remember. I would want my countrymen to see me fall, and know what had been done to me, to us, on that day.


and what he wrote to today:

And if I had been a victim of the Madrid attacks, I would want those images to be shown. Not ignored. Hiding this abomination away and forgetting about it, out of misguided political correctness and naïve “sensitivity,” is the very opposite of respect for the victims. It makes them non-persons. It renders their suffering meaningless.


is singularly appropriate.

No comments: