Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Maureen Dowd - Aggressively Obtuse

Maureen Dowd has just gotten back from a long hiatus [allegedly to write a book I think] and promptly pens a tired, whining piece against President Bush.

On Saturday, the current President Bush was pressed about how he could be taking five weeks to ride bikes and nap and fish and clear brush even though his occupation of Iraq had become a fiasco. "I think it's also important for me to go on with my life," W. said, "to keep a balanced life."

Pressed about how he could ride his bike while refusing to see a grieving mom of a dead soldier who's camped outside his ranch, he added: "So I'm mindful of what goes on around me. On the other hand, I'm also mindful that I've got a life to live and will do so."


This is after she compares how Bush I relaxed in Kennebunkport while we invaded Iraq the first time around. She goes to re-iterate her tired platitudes about how Iraq is a fiasco etc. It's an indication of how the Left has become unhinged in its loathing of Bush that they are now attacking his exercise habits and vacation. Jonathan Chait basically called Bush an idiot for following a rigorous exercise regiment and Dowd now complains about the Crawford 'vacation'.

As she and anyone who isn't demonstrably stupid knows any President's vacation is a misnomer. Does she really think that Bush isn't getting constant security and situation briefings daily and likely spending hours at 'work'? Essentially the White House has moved from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue to Crawford, Texas for five weeks. (Note that August in DC is horrid and Congress is always adjourned.) The fact that the President may spend a few hours a day reading and clearing brush instead of photo-ops and meet-and-greets I doubt harms the republic.

Paul Krugman, whose latest rant on Social Security was ripped by Powerline, must feel good that his soul mate is back and he isn't the only moonbat on the Times opinion page.

No comments: