Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ugh. Libby guilty on 4 counts

Mark R. Levin's reaction:

I think the Cooper counts were flimsy. I think the whole case was flimsy. I think the witnesses were flimsy. I think the judge's rulings, in certain respects, were flimsy. I think Fitzgerald's closing argument was flimsy. I've written and talked about these points at length. This case doesn't stand for the truth when jurors are confused about instructions and basic concepts like "reasonable doubt" days and hours before handing down their verdict, after 9-10 days of deliberation. I'm sure I'll have more to say later. Fitzgerald stomped all over traditional Justice Department practices respecting the treatment and use of reporters. And for what? This case? Others of us have served as and with prosecutors. I have known many, many great ones over the years, including when I was chief of staff at the Justice Department. I must say I am extremely distressed by what has occurred here.

No comments: