1. Charles Murray of the American Enterprise Institute has THE PLAN to get rid of the welfare state. Instead of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid all adults not incarcerated get a $10,000 grant annually, $3,000 of which must be used for health care. Fascinating.
2. Mark Steyn:
The Palestinian people are the acme of internationalism — that’s to say, they’re the only people on the face of the earth with their own U.N. agency, and, after six decades in their care, they are now the most comprehensively wrecked people on the face of the earth.[subscriber only but the snippet about says it all]
3. "Marriage is for white people." Depressing.
4. Send Moussaoui to the chair. He testifies that he and Richard Reid were supposed to hijack a fifth plane and crash it into the White House of September 11th.
5. This makes sense. Why bother with art, science or foreign language if the kids are awful in Reading and Math?
6. John Fund pounds Yale some more on the Taliban student.
7. The mob has ruled in France for 200 years. And it still does.
It's the street that rules. Today's mobs, like their predecessors, are notable for their poor grasp of economic principles and their hostility to the free market. Only wardrobe distinguishes these demonstrations from those that led to the invasion of the national convention in 1795, when first the mob protested that commodity prices were too high; when the government responded with price controls, it protested with equal vigor that goods had disappeared and black market prices had risen.