A GRAND SLAM PERFORMANCE.
Great poise, great voice, firm delivery. [Mr. Biden - you better sharpen those pencils.]
Strong start, reminding again that McCain supported the surge:
"I'd rather lose an election than have my country lose a war."
- "Children of special needs require special love." "To the parents of kids with special needs, I pledge to you, if elected, you will have an advocate in the White House."
- Channels Truman: "we grow good people in these small towns"
- "Difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."
- "A mayor is like a community organizer with actual responsibilities."
- "I am not going to Washington to seek their good opinion [reporters and commentators], I am going to Washington to serve the people of this country."
- "That luxury jet was over the top...I put it on eBay."
- "[Obama] has authored two memoirs but not a single piece of legislation."
- "Victory in Iraq is finally in sight and he wants to forfeit."
- "Terrorists are ready in inflict catastrophic harm on the United States and he's worried about reading them their rights."
CRUSHING: "Harry Reid, the head of the do-nothing Senate says 'I can't stand John McCain.' I can't think of a greater compliment."
- "For a season a gifted speaker can inspire with his words. But for a lifetime John McCain has inspired with his deeds."