Saturday, May 07, 2005

School overreaction

A high school junior in a central Georgia military town was suspended from school this week after refusing to end a long-distance cellphone call from his mother, an Army sergeant serving in Iraq.
...
The teen said he looked forward to the monthly call from his mother, who left in January for a one-year tour with the 203rd Forward Support Battalion of the 3rd Infantry Division.


School rules permit cell phones but not their use during the school day which is reasonable. There is a dispute between whether the student told the teacher who told him to hang up that he was on the phone with his mother. In the end, 17-year old Kevin Francois was suspended for 10 days for 'disorderly conduct' for using profanity at the teacher and administrators.

Francois said he did become frustrated when the teacher snatched his phone away. "I got some attitude," he said. "But I didn't curse. I just couldn't understand why I couldn't talk to her. I kept pleading and pleading."

The school set Francois' suspension at 10 days after exhibiting "defiance and profanity" in an administrator's office, Phillips said.


I am a strong supporter of discipline in schools but if I were a 17-year old and got to talk to my mother once a month and some teacher snatched my phone away I'd have more than just 'some attitude'. The right thing for the school to do here was LET IT GO.

No comments: